1.13.2013

make this...

Long ago, I was a member of the Junior League, a wonderful women's service organization that does great work in each chapter's local community.  I was fortunate to be a part of Junior Leagues in Minneapolis, MN, Morristown, NJ and Portland, OR and volunteer for some really great and worthy organizations. Besides serving as catalyst for pairing smart and accomplished women with not-for-profit organizations doing good work, many Junior Leagues make and sell cookbooks to support their work.  I feel like everyone has a Junior League cookbook? Right?

One of my favorites from "Portland's Palate" the cookbook from the Junior League of Portland is a Tomato Basil Soup.  I made it on Friday when I was having a few of my youngest daughter's friends, along with their momma's over for a girl's night in.  It has been cold in Portland!  This soup is a perfect simple meal for a cold winter's night!  I added a caesar salad and some garlic bread and called it good.


Tomato Basil Soup

1/4 cup butter, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
5 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped and divided
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 (35 ounce) can whole tomatoes 
salt & pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 cups chicken broth
Fontina Cheese, grated {I had none so did parmesan shavings}

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter.  Add 3 tablespoons basil, chopped onion and 4 cloves garlic.  Cook until tender, about 15 minutes.  Pour in tomatoes and their liquid.  Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

In a food processor or blender, puree tomato mixture in small batches. **Thankfully I have a hand blender which is THE BEST kitchen appliance, especially when you need to do something like this! No need to transfer to a food processor - you just blend right in your stockpot.  Return mixture to saucepan.  (Soup can be stored in refrigerator up to one day ahead at this point.)

In small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter.  Add remaining 2 tablespoons basil, garlic and Italian seasoning and saute for 5 minutes.  Combine sauteed herbs with chicken broth and tomato mixture.  Simmer until heated through.  Serve immediately and garnish with cheese.


5 comments on "make this..."
  1. thanks jill. i am going to make this. tomato basil soup is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy; thanks!

    Have you ever tried Elephant's
    Tomato Orange Soup? One that
    my family and friends love when
    I make it. I am thinking now that
    I might have shared the recipe
    with you?

    Happy Monday, my friend!

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a recipes that calls for plum tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and baked. It made the kitchen smell divine. Also had the chicken base and of course I added my fresh herbs from my garden.

    Isn't soup great for those cold days? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tomatoes and basil together so this is a must try for me. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds perfect for tonight's dinner. Cold and rainy here in Texas : o )

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...