4.08.2012

Design 'do' or 'don't'?



Restoration Hardware has been completely re-vamped their product
offerings in the last couple years. The new products lean towards a
 European-vintage inspired look with
industrial pieces thrown in for good measure.  

Their new catalog arrived in my mailbox and I was surprised to 
see that the deconstructed upholstery look had made it to 
Restoration Hardware's mass market line!  I have seen
this look at many flea markets - the result of simply removing
 the original {and most likely UGLY} upholstery fabric and leaving
the guts of the chair exposed.

So what do you think?
Is this a design 'do'?
or a design 'don't'?


23 comments on "Design 'do' or 'don't'?"
  1. I am not sure how much of a fan I am of this look. I think the idea is good but you have to be REAL careful of the execution of this. I think that maybe if its done right and styled in the right kind of room it would be a 'do' otherwise in my house it is definitely a 'don't' especially with the dogs running around.

    ♥ Ashley

    atparsons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look, but at some point the fad will fast and then you are stuck covering an overpriced "naked" chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops! That was supposed to be "pass"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need furniture that's comfortable and useful. Deconstructed pieces don't look like something people would sit in--too scratchy and you could be poked by a nail or something. So for me it's a "don't."

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's a no for me! but i do like some of their new stuff!

    ashley over @
    {hookedonhickory}

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am too type A, it looks too messy for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, looks like I am in the minority here, I think it looks pretty cool! It's just one chair so I like it. a whole rom done like this would be too much. But, I have to be honest and say I would never pay what RH most likely wants for this piece. I would have to deconstruct my own. ;o)

    So what I really want to know, is what do YOU think?? ;o)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me a resounding YES!! Love it..so fun as a added piece to a finished room that is needing that little something!
    Would look great in my art studio!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me a resounding YES!! Love it..so fun as a added piece to a finished room that is needing that little something!
    Would look great in my art studio!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning!

    Did you read the post from Cote de texas?

    http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2012/03/are-they-serious.html

    I think a small piece added in is great but I'm not a fan of decorating my entire living room in it! :)

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not a fan. Looks too much like a homeless camp under the bridge over in Portland

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Urban Farmgirl got it right. Even if you like the look, are you really going to pay this much for it?

    I personally don't care for the look, it looks like you are in the middle of renovating it. And it's not a "trend" (is it even a trend right now?) that is likely to have staying power. So you better really LOVE that piece of furniture to pay that much for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a 'don't' for me. I think it's a fad and I much prefer a pretty fabric upholstery that looks finished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh. Yuck. Ugggly. That about sums it up, lol. I agree with what all the naysayers said above.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this chair but I know that my friends and family would come and say "oh, so your working on a new chair" What ya gonna do with it?" I think I pass on chairs like this because it's to much effort to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am torn....reality says it is ridiculous...paying for that kind of shabby chic...but if you find it...it is appealing...in a way...
    If the whole house is done with that theme then great...but one piece would be out of place...
    Anyway, great to find your blog...
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. For me personally, it's a don't. I don't care for much of what Restoration Hardware has been offering lately. It's very drab and boring, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nope - that's a big DON'T!! Where has all that stuff underneath been?? Ugh......

    ReplyDelete
  19. My opinion...

    In a real antique, possibly a "do"

    in a mass market new item = don't

    ReplyDelete
  20. eeew.... this is taking "curb appeal" a bit too far. It looks like a number of upholstered items one can find in a rubbish bin. If this was in my friend's house, I wouldn't dare even sit on it.
    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...