3.01.2011

the 'cottage' that will soon be ours....


It still feels surreal...
we signed a purchase agreement for a home in Portland, Oregon...
our hometown. The papers are signed and closing date set so I feel
comfortable sharing this exciting news with you!

I had given up hope of ever having the opportunity to move back.  Really
And when I think back on where we were a year ago...
not knowing if my hubby would keep his job..
the stress..
Not at all happy living in the midwest, let alone getting 'stuck' here without a job...
I was bitter and scared.  It was a new place for me and I did not like it.
I have always considered myself a spiritual person - not necessarily 'religious' per se
but I know God had a plan for our family.
I feel it and know it.
This journey has made me appreciate this blessing
in a way I probably would have not been
able to before.

Ok, enough of the sappy stuff...
let's talk about our new 'cottage'...

Obviously, it is newer home.....
and at first glance it had alot of things that were on my
"do not want" list....
{my realtor kindly reminded me of that}
like, light hardwood floors, a two story great room and 
maple kitchen cabinets. 

But it also has lots of things we wanted,
a first floor master, a huge kitchen island with high quality cabinetry, 
tons of storage, a formal living room, a first floor office,
an upstairs bonus room for our girls to hang out and a gorgeous backyard!

Don't worry,  I plan to change the things I don't like - refinishing the hardwood floors,
painting the kitchen cabinets and great room built-in's a creamy white.
{my hubby just rolls his eyes when I comment, "that will make
for a great blog post"}
'Cause you know I am going to share it all with you!

As for the current housing market....
well, I am here to tell you, it may not be as bad
as the media might have you believe.
Or maybe we just got 'lucky'.

Our cottage in Minnesota sold in two weeks. 
When we were in Portland, there were lots of buyers
out looking at homes.

The house we are purchasing had two offers on it
{including ours} in a week.  Another house we looked
at, and had considered, had three
offers written during the weekend we were there.

What I found was alot of homes on the market
but not alot of quality homes.

The wheels are definitely in motion.  We will be moving west in about six weeks!

So I have just one question, if this was my "Forever*Cottage" what will I call my new cottage?

I welcome your suggestions, and may even have a terrific prize for the winning name!

I'm just sayin'.....


32 comments on "the 'cottage' that will soon be ours...."
  1. oh jill
    yay you!!!!
    that is so exciting & definitely a blessing indeed.
    it is so pretty!
    i love the little side thingy...is it a little side porch? so much charm
    &
    i can't wait to see you put your charm into your new, currently nameless cottage
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I love the pacific northwest. But, I also love the plains (as plain as they are, they have their own kind of beauty).

    Homecoming Cottage
    Cottage on the Homefront
    Gray Gables

    I'm sure you will pick what's perfect for YOU.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill - your new cottage is so charming, I really love it and can't wait to see more of it. It's wonderful that everything is working out for your family - I firmly believe that things do work out the way the are suppose to. I think you could keep the same name - I think of it more as a state of mind or lifestyle and it's such a cute name anyway! Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your blog and we are neighbors. We live in Ea. WA and are moving to Rockaway Beach. Hubby and I grew up in the greater Portland area, were born there, etc. Welcome home! Love the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stumbled on your blog, as well, and am down in Eugene, OR. Welcome home, soon!
    As I was reading through some of your older posts I saw that you were planning on seeing Kenny Chesney there in June. I believe he is in Portland in July. And now, back to "Barn House", "Monticello" and all sorts of great places to shop! :)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about the "Forever After Cottage"?
    Or the "Happily Ever After Cottage"?

    I'm sorry you're leaving MN, but this time of year who wouldn't?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainaway Cottage. Seriously, it's been nonstop rain this week :)

    Congratulations on your house selling and finding a beautiful new one! Good Luck w/ the move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A BIG Congratulations to you to get to move back home. We just moved from there 2 years ago. Heather just sent me the link to your blog and I love it!
    Good luck with the move!

    Pam
    OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say it is your "Forever Cottage" without the *....meaning you are HOME to stay. There does not have to be an * now, because this is truly home. Forever! Congrats. It looks beautiful. Lori L

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Lori, keep the same name, but if you need a change I would call it "My Cottage In The Pines".
    You will feel whats best. 8>)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jill CONGRATULATIONS Lovey....I know this has been a stressful time for you....!!

    How CLEVER was Jessie with her "Forever After Cottage" & "Happily Ever After Cottage" suggestions....!!! I LOVE them & think either would be BRILLIANT for your new home....!

    The next 6 weeks will FLY I'm sure....!

    Cheers for now,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your new "cottage"! So happy for you on moving home. Can't wait to see your up-do's to your new place.
    As far as a name, can't think of one myself but your friends have great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how exciting Jill...it looks beautiful...and all those things maybe you weren't wanting sound changeable to me...how fun it will be to make it your new cottage:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jill - so happy for you guys. The new house is beautiful and I know it will become so "you"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found your blog by accident and LOVE it! I think you should name it your "Final Forever Cottage"
    Thanks for sharing your life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been thinking about this all day. I know. I need a life, right? I came back to tell you that I settled on the Forever After Cottage and I see someone who is much quicker and brighter than me already thought of it. Back to the drawing board I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still think it's your forever*cottage - as it is a state of your heart, where you hang your hat. No matter what the circumstances, it will forever have a place in your history.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous and I
    hope to see it
    this summer, Jill!
    Is it actually in
    Portland, or in a
    suburb??
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. So happy for you! Sometimes things are just meant to be! How about Serendipity Cottage?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats Jill! Looks beautiful, I can't wait to come visit. I like the name of your blog and vote for not changing it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love forever after cottage!
    wait...are we voting? lol


    congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that it has a SIDEWALK! They seem to have disappeared here in NY, only the much older neighborhoods have them. I take my life in my hands walking on the roads around here!
    B

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, like no cottage I have ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am soooo very happy for you, Jill! You seem to be right where you want to be with all sorts of wonderful plans for your new house! I can just imagine you doing the happy dance the way things all fell into place and worked out just perfectly for you! :) Hmmmmm....thinking.....thinking.... thinking.....ofa new name for your......Coastal Cottage! How about that? :) Hugs to you!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow girl it's so picturesque. Did I spell that right?? It's just a beautiful setting all nestled in high like that with the tall trees behind it. How about Cottage Tree House:)

    I'm so happy for you. Amazing how God has fit together every little detail for you and pulled this all together. It will be a huge relief I know to get all settled in. Have to say I'm going to miss you terribly. So I'm having bittersweet feelings. You have become a very special friend. If nothing else I'm just glad our paths crossed and we had the chance to get to know each other. You will make that cottage shine:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome home! I am in the Portland area, and there is no place like it. Within an hour and a half any direction you have beach, mountains, desert, and farmland. Truly amazing. But since it's the "rose city" what about incorporating the word rose into your cottage name somewhere.

    Forever Rose Cottage

    If your on a hill:
    Rose Bluff Cottage

    Valley:
    Valley Rose Cottage

    Just some thoughts!!
    Lord bless you and welcome home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How about the Manor House Cottage... I dont know thats just what came to mind when I first saw your new beautiful home... I love it. Congrats on selling and buying your new Manor House!

    Lorene
    The Gilded Cherub

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations, so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a beautiful home you've got waiting for you!

    pleased to 'meet' you via our farmgirl. :)

    ~h

    ReplyDelete
  31. Grey Gables (although i see someone else thought of that too)!! So gorgeous... How about Three Gables?? or Pine cottage.... Is that Oregon Pines I see in the backyard?? Welcome Home!!! Terri

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...