1.26.2009

Bus Driver...Move that Bus!



It's done! I am very pleased with the results. I am happy to share some pictures with you - finally! Waiting for the new Pottery Barn sconces really delayed the reveal, so I was relieved when they finally showed up last week and my husband was able to install them over the weekend.



Our home was originally a 1920's lake cottage that had endured some "interesting" renovations in the 1970's and 1980's. About 3 years ago, a talented neighbor of ours purchased the house and proceeded to gut it and bring back it's original 1920's character. He wisely chose old cabinets to serve as bathroom vanities and just dropped in sinks. We purchased the home about 9 months ago and have steadily made cosmetic changes. I loved the "look" of this cabinet but just felt the red paint did not fit with the goregeous subway tile and overall character of the house. The cabinet lost it's dated red look and I painted it a greyish, taupe-ish color. Then I applied a brown glaze over that and then proceeded to apply about 15 coats of wax on top. By the way, waxing/buffing furniture is a great upper body workout!



It just would not be a room in my home without a couple of nest prints - these I bought inexpensively on Ebay a few years ago and had them framed. They are vintage.



I added a Dundee Marmalade jar to hold my girls' toothbrushes and a vintage stand mirror I got at a flea market many years ago.



And finally, a bit of inspiration for my girls as they get ready for school in the morning!

In the past, I had always done my children's bath for children. This time, I decided to grow it up a bit. My girls are 10 and 6 and I think they don't need a brightly colored, just for them bathroom anymore. Plus, we live in a cozy home that I believe flows better when the colors and look are cohesive.

post signature

3 comments on "Bus Driver...Move that Bus!"
  1. Looks great Jill! Can't wait to see pictures of the rest of your cottage! Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks! Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO lovely! I love the nest prints, and all of that subway style tile!! Everything looks clean and sparkling fresh -- you did an amazing job here!!
    I may just have to go back to Junk Bonanza again, it was a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautifully! I love all the vintagey details and that cabinet is to die for. Love all the nests too!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...